At any meeting or IT conference, someone will certainly mention that the ability to communicate, express their thoughts and arguments are key to becoming a successful programmer. Soft skills are not just abilities of writing software, they are “soft skills” that are related to the ability to communicate and negotiate, teamwork, the ability to convince and motivate people, leadership qualities, responsibility and time management. However, they are necessary for effective work and allow harmonious interaction with other people. For the employer are equally important professional skills, as well as additional skills and capability of the programmer. Therefore, at 85% the success of an employee in the professional sphere depends on these very soft skills and this was recently confirmed once again by scientists from Harvard. Here are the actual principles of programming illuminates below:
- Creating a software product is teamwork, and a programmer is a key part of this process. Without the ability to agree and constructive criticism, a team of programmers will necessarily have unnecessary conflicts that will severely hinder the development and influence the overall result.
- Programmers communicate with people, even more often than with programs. Yes, a shocking truth for introverts. During the work, programmers communicate with each other, with the project manager and the customer’s representative. Therefore, communication skills and for successful programming are important and necessary.
- Through explaining the task, discussing the problems, briefly and intelligibly tell the essence of the issue, motivate employees, and get feedback – a small part of the daily processes that take place in companies. The effectiveness of these processes is directly related to the soft communication skills of each employee.
- Of course, it would be good to be born with excellent communication skills, but if this, alas, did not happen, then they can be developed. It is necessary only to make a little effort.
- It is best to develop soft skills during training. So you get not only programming knowledge, but also develop these soft skills: communication skills, active listening, negotiating skills, persuading and speaking in public.
- During training, you have to communicate with a group, present your work to teachers – that’s an opportunity to improve your soft communication skills.
Furthermore, here is a list of some basic communication techniques that will help develop soft communication skills and become a good employee and programmer.
It is better to understand and remember what the interlocutor says helps active listening. Asking clarifying questions, nodding, rephrasing the main meaning of the conversation heard during the conversation – that’s its basis. This can show the interlocutor that he is carefully listened to, and also to direct the conversation in the right direction.
Criticism can be constructive and non-constructive. Non-constructive criticism has a very negative effect on a person and is often completely devoid of rational arguments. There is a universal rule of constructive criticism: one should praise the employee, and then say that in the work he did badly and wrongly or offer him an alternative plan of action. Such a design gives a person a positive response to praise, and then he is ready to listen to what can be improved.
It has long been proven that much of the information, about 90-80% is transmitted through gestures, facial expressions and intonation. The mismatch of gestures and the meaning of words will cause confusion in the interlocutor or he simply will not accept what he is told. Here are few precautions elucidated to improve the soft communication skills for programmers:
- Ability to communicate successfully with others
- Remembering the perceptions of competence
- Be open to others openly and benevolently, but without lack of distance, quickly establish contacts and expand them; shows appreciation to interlocutors.
- Responds to interlocutors and listens well, objections objectively and frustration tolerant.
- Expresses itself as customizable, speaks and writes understandably.
- Convince others by their strong identification with their own arguments.
- Explanations regarding your point of view to make create understanding.
Gloria Wood is an essayist in elite group of writing hub located in north of United Kingdom. She is the most talented and well known lady recognized through her great achievements including essay help. However, in her article she explains the programming characteristics along with the support of soft communication tactic for the student willing to start their business careers.